The Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities (TCDD) issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) to fund up to three projects to develop new initiatives to support people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) who are aging and their caregivers. As this population continues to grow, our system must be better-equipped to serve their unique needs during this life stage by providing information, resources, and support. The deadline to submit a proposal is September 7, 2018.
Today, people with I/DD are living longer than previous generations of people with I/DD. As people with I/DD grow older, they face age-related challenges in various aspects of their lives, including:
- mobility, and
- community involvement.
People with I/DD are also outliving parents who are often the primary caregivers. As these caregivers continue to grow older, they often become less able to provide care for their loved ones because they have to address their own health problems, physical disabilities, and other age-related concerns. This inability to care for their child can cause additional stress and anxiety, which can impact the care they provide and limit planning for the future. With a growing number of Texans who are aging, our system must better understand the unique needs of older individuals with I/DD and their caregivers to adequately provide support during this life stage.
About the RFP
The purpose of this RFP is to develop new initiatives to support people with I/DD who are aging and their caregivers. Projects may include opportunities for family members, individuals, and professionals. An individual project may focus primarily on:
- meeting the needs of people with I/DD who are aging,
- meeting the needs of aging caregivers of family members with I/DD,
- reducing gaps in the long-term services and supports system for people with I/DD who are aging, or
- some or all of the above.
Examples of what projects might address include:
- Research: Conduct research and collect data regarding the unique needs of individuals aging with I/DD, their caregivers, and/or providers of long-term services and supports to understand system gaps, discover best practices, and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Futures Planning: Develop futures planning programs for people with I/DD who are aging and for caregivers.
- I&R: Develop strategies for information and referral (I&R) related to necessary services and supports.
- Healthcare Needs: Develop a program to identify the physical and behavioral healthcare needs for the person with I/DD who is aging and/or their caregiver.
- Aging in Place: Identify the needs for the continuity of care, including residential needs, to support aging in place.
- Self-Advocacy: Develop a self-advocacy skills training program and provide the necessary support so people with I/DD who are aging and caregivers are informed and empowered to explain their needs to service providers.
- Support Networks: Establish support networks for people with I/DD who are aging and for caregivers.
This list is not exhaustive and organizations are encouraged to submit their own innovative ideas. Ideally, informational materials and resources developed through this RFP will be able to be replicated elsewhere in Texas and/or implemented statewide.
Any organization that meets the requirements set forth in this RFP can apply. Types of organizations could include:
- government agencies,
- colleges and universities,
- faith-based institutions,
- technical and/or professional schools, and
- for profit businesses.
The organization that applies for this grant must administer the grant and receive, disburse and account for grant funds. Individuals may not apply for this grant.
Grant Funds Available
TCDD has made available up to $175,000 per year, for up to five years, for up to three organizations. Funding for the second through fifth years is not automatic.
Proposals are due to TCDD by 5 p.m. Central Time on Friday, September 7, 2018. Late proposals will not be accepted. Other key dates include:
- Informational conference call: August 14, 2018
- Deadline to submit questions: August 17, 2018
- Award notification: November 30, 2018 (this date may change)
- Project start date: January 1, 2019 (this date may change)
Learn More and Submit a Proposal
For more information, the complete RFP is available on the Notice of Funds Available 2018-6 Older Adults with Developmental Disabilities and their Caregivers webpage on the DD Suite website. Proposals for this RFP and all forms must be submitted using DD Suite.